A commercial agent is a self-employed seller. Therefore, it is not a salaried employee who is employed. But it works independently and is the intermediate figure between the company that sells certain products or services and the buyer.
As for the operation of its commercial activity, there are several characteristics that define the figure of the agent:
- They have a portfolio of several products or services.
- They work in a variable territory, depending on the type of product, clientele, sales channels, etc.
- They are experts in the sector and know perfectly all the characteristics of what they are aiming to sell.
- They have an extensive network of contacts.
- They work on commission, that is, from each sale, they will receive a percentage. This will depend on the conditions agreed between the agent and the boss.
During the exercise of its activity, the commercial agent will not be responsible for the good end of the operation. This responsibility lies with the company to which it works. He simply sticks to promoting and trading the product or service.